On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 13:17 -0200, Mark Boon wrote:

> 1- Capture a stone in atari with a certain probability (like David
> Fotland says he's doing).
> 2- Forbid playing on the 1st or 2nd line unless there's a stone
> within manhatten-distance 2.
> 3- Forbid putting yourself into atari with a large number (>6) of
> stones.

Hi Mark,

I'm still working on improving the refbot and I'm using the Michael
Williams modification too.

Many of the things I've tried don't directly affect the playouts.  One
of them you can try is this:

  1.  Do not play to any edge point unless a stone (of either color) is
diagonally or orthogonally adjacent.

I think that is a good practical rule.   It's not a perfect rule, in the
sense that such a move could still be best - but I think for a playout
strategy it is good.

For a practical player you should veto that move as a root move choice
too, because the rule will severely reduce the number of samples for the
edge points and bias them towards wanting to be played,  the opposite of
what you want.

In fact, that has to be considered for anything you do.  You must
distinguish between using a rule to adjust the playout strategy and
actually using the scores of the moves for this or that.    Some UCT
implementation try to use AMAF data to shape the tree and you could get
into trouble if you are not careful.