Ingo Althöfer wrote:
Ok, that is a technical answer. But ...
... what does the rule change mean for strengths of
programs - especially in play against (strong) humans?
Would this rule help the computers or the humans?

I doubt that this rule has a significant effect on playing strength, either of computers or humans. After all, the average effect is about half a point per game, which you probably won't notice below the level of amateur 6d or 7d. And since there are currently no programs playing at that level, it's impossible to say how they would be affected...

Positions where the WMSG rules (as a whole, not just this simple element) differ more significantly from normal rules, such as seki with one-sided dame, are very rare.

So I think this is pretty much a non-topic...

Regards,
Michael