It is spreaded over a number of servers. Yahoo has a daily load of about 7000 that are nonstop playing, chessclub.com which used to be a paid club and still is, it has about a million who visit, yet as a membership has a cost of 50 dollar, which is 500 yuan nearly a year, that's a price i'm not willing to pay either.

chessclub offers free membership to titled players. Yet i'm titled and i have to pay how about that?
Having 2 dutch titles and a fidemaster title seemingly doesn't count :)

The strongest players are at chessclub.com

It's about 2500 nonstop (so 24 hours load) now, chessbase is becoming a tad larger now, note also a paid chess club. About 3000 load. Yet again you have to either buy a product of them for 50+ euro for a free 1 year
membership, or you have to pay 25 euro a year for membership.

There is a range of servers. Each one has about a 500-1000. Most are paid.

There chess is really doing bad of course.
Experience learns when you setup a free server with a good client that you soon get a huge load.
5000+ is very normal.

There is a lot of tiny communities with a 400+ players 24 hours a day online.

that's what you get when there is 105+ nations playing chess.
Each federation wants their own server.

Yet they do not want to pay for it. FIDE really is doing very bad there.
Their problem would be they go to commercial companies which have all their own interest, instead of using a few of their guys who already work in organisations and are objective.

Vincent