I always recommend cygwin. I'm a linux guy and can't live without all my little tools and simple package installation. You should be able to get the exact gcc libego was optimized for that way.

I use the digital mars d compiler and it's blazingly fast. All my d files can compile and link faster than gcc compiles one of libego's c+ + files. I'm not knocking libego, just giving a relevent reference point. I'm using libego under the hood for playouts.

Sent from my iPhone