I promised an example of a monte carlo program mistakenly starting a ladder;
here it is.

I played white; Leela had a 2 stone handicap and 45 minutes on the clock.

Leela's move 32 initiates a ladder. Unfortunately for Leela, I have a ladder
breaker at D16.

Leela's analysis was optimistic when it initiated the ladder, but a few moves
later, it became aware of the looming shadow of a great doom.

There are a few large captures later in the game. The corner fight at the end
had me biting my nails.

 Terry McIntyre <terrymcint...@yahoo.com>

"Here you can see how slightly a people needs to be governed." - Carl Schurz,
immigrant, 1848.
What happened since?