I don't think JVM performance will be an issue for this.    I assumed that
you were willing to sacrifice a small amount of speed for a high level
prototyping language and I think you will only get about 20-30% slowdown
over C - I'm judging this by the performance of the reference bots I did in
both java and C.

You are probably not going to get any closer than this with any other high
level language.

If you like lispy languages there is something called "bitc" which is
supposed to be pretty close to C in speed and there is also D, which has the
potential to be faster than C - although it isn't right now.    D would
probably be a little closer to C speed than Java or Scala.

My issue with Java and JVM is the memory hog nature and pathetic startup
times - which make it FEEL slow and unresponsive, but in actuality it is
pretty fast.    I have found that java doesn't play well with memory - I
would not use Java (or Scala) if you plan to do the big memory thing with
MCTS, which likes efficient memory management and lots of space for nodes.

But I cannot say for sure that this won't work.   I don't understand Java
enough and maybe there are data structures that you can preallocate in
unboxed fashion that will be efficient.    But my sense of things is that a
node is going to be pretty fat.

Honestly, I think your decision to stay with C is likely to be best.   I
don't even consider anything else when I look at a project that I think is
going to need serious performance and memory requirements.

- Don