>Currently I only get about 19k playouts per second on a 2 core
>Core2Duo 2.3 GHz, on 9 line empty board.  I started at about
>55k playouts per second on one core (for a UCT search).

So, David, what happens when you are supply useful information?
People impose on you for even more...

I have seen playouts/second numbers a few times, and I always
have trouble relating them to what I am working on. Usually other
engines are 100x faster than mine, but sometimes only 10x. :-)

The 19K/sec speed represents the first time that any engine
has claimed to be *less* than 5x faster than mine, accounting
for a difference in hardware. So I want to make sure that I understand.

I am trying to get a handle on how fast a Core2 Duo 2.3GHz is,
and it turns out that there is a wide range. The benchmarks at
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php show several parts that
might match, with ratings as follows:

Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz = 1415 rating (higher is better)
Intel Core2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz = 1542 rating
Intel Core2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26GHz = 1796 rating

Is your chip one of these? And you are using both cores?

Another thing I notice about my engine is that playouts/second
drops as the UCT tree becomes larger. For instance, between 10K
trials and 100K trials the rate drops by ~20%. Profiling shows
that this is because longer variations spend more time in selectBest(),
giveCredit(), progressiveWidening(), and other tree management routines.

So, a few questions:

    1) are your measurements also in the context of a UCT tree?
    2) what slowdown do you observe as search progresses?

Your answers will go a long way towards helping me to understand
how a world-class engine performs. I appreciate that you help the
community in this way.

TIA,
Brian