My mistake. I misstook "start of the playout" for the board position.

Stefan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Boon" <tesujisoftw...@gmail.com>
To: "computer-go" <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Stone-Age

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Stefan Kaitschick
<stefan.kaitsch...@hamburg.de> wrote:
Stone-Age - spooky concept :-)
I suppose it has some relationship to generally lighter playouts deeper in
the tree.
Have you experimented some more with this?

No, I didn't have time to explore this further.

Perhaps the cutoff point should be somewhere in the future though, moving
towards the present as the game progesses.
Otherwise you completely disable patterns for the first move, which doesn't
seem right.

I'm not sure. I used as cut-off the start of the playout, which being
partly down the tree by a few moves (at least) seems to work fine. My
main 'requirement' was that it didn't lose strength with equal number
of playouts. Since that requirement was met I didn't look any further.
I'd be surprised if pushing it further out into the future would
actually *gain* strength, whereas it would certainly lose speed.

Stefan

I feel ungrateful for saying this, but a search in the archive would be
great.

You mean you don't keep your mail? My post about this was on Feb 2nd.
GMail is your friend ;-)

Mark