Go has been played long enough, and the proposed "great wall" opening is simple enough, that is should be more than valid to argue that "if it was a good opening, it would be played more often".

Here are some openings that have been found to lead to high winning percentages in real games:
  - The Shusaku opening in the old pre-komi days
- The Chinese opening (still holds one of the highest winning percentages with Black, of all openings, if I remember correctly)
  - Mini-chinese
  - Kobayashi opening

One could try and plonk down those openings and see whether the engine has a significantly better result. I would conjecture that current engines are not strong enough to use them correctly, and it won't make any difference where you place the first three stones, as long as it's reasonable distributed and not on the second line.

I may extend my conjecture to amateur players under about 3 kyu :)

Christian