Darren,

ah - I missed the white paper, I will read that later so I can form a real opinion. I must say, the mere fact that there will be C++ support and a proper development environment (even if only for Windows) is a big relief. Working with CUDA at the moment is a nightmare, straight back to the 80s.

Christian

Darren Cook wrote:
these articles are still somewhat short on detail, so it's hard to tell.

Yes the linux mag article was a bit empty wasn't it, but did you take a
look at the 20-page whitepaper:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/fermi_white_papers/NVIDIA_Fermi_Compute_Architecture_Whitepaper.pdf

Having said that, the "parallel data cache" they alude to may be
significant. If this is going to enable the construction of data
structures such as linked lists, or bring down global memory access time
significantly, then I believe the performance of playout algorithms on
the architecture will shoot up.

I only skimmed it very lightly, but page 15 discusses memory and page 16
shows how this gives big speedups for radix sort and fluid simulations.

Darren

--

Christian Nentwich

Director, Model Two Zero Ltd.