On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 15:45, Jeff Nowakowski <j...@dilacero.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 03:06:51PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
>> So the only difference in play is when losing, one has to keep trying
>> to lose as little as possible, resigning isn't an option. When ahead,
>> there's no reason to try to win big, unless the goal is to reach a
>> certain amount of points in a certain number of games. (Programs
>> aren't greedy in the same way we people are :-)
>
> Let's assume that the program will play for a gambler, and will play
> many (an indefinite number) of independent games. Then I think "no
> reason to try to win big" is wrong. The rational approach to gambling
> is to maximize your expected value for each game.

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the strategy should be to
push each game to the limit. Trying to win with a large margin is less
safe than with a small one, so it depends on the gambler's mindset.

> So now the problem
> becomes harder -- you have to realistically guess the risk vs reward
> over a spectrum of points.

And also possibly add knowledge about the opponent(s).

> I think this game is clearly more difficult than a binary win/loss
> game.

This is exactly my opinion, too.

regards,
Vlad