Petri Pitkanen wrote:
2009/12/1 Rémi Coulom <remi.cou...@univ-lille3.fr>
I like the direct-elimination system, because it determines a clear winner
in a deterministic number of rounds. I don't like the KGS system, where the
winner is determined by SOS.

Rémi

Determining clear winner is good. But clear winner does not mean finding
best player, obviously. Swiss system fails to find clear winner in cases
where the superiority is not clear, which is kinda correct.

CUP's are usually used in backgammon tournaments, but there the goal is not
to find who is the best player but who collects the prize money. So in case
there in monetary awards CUP's are good. Otherwise Swiss system is better.

Petri

I agree that in terms of statistical significance, the system of the UEC Cup is not as good as possible. But I believe that making sure that the final rounds decide the winner is much better for an exciting atmosphere. And it is not possible to have a significant confidence in the best player with just 10 rounds, anyway.

Rémi