Looking at the games on kgs, both ManyFaces and Zen are pretty decent at giving
handicap, but still fairly weak at taking handicap.
I think the problem remains, that they allow the opponent to close the gap too
easily. Once the game is close they get much stronger,
but by then they are in a real danger of losing. I feel the problem is still
with the scoring function. Watching them give away points with
both hands, I have advocated a dynamic negative komi, thereby almost starting a
flamewar on this list. So as not to start it again, let me state here that I
now think that it's a remedy of dubious value, making the bots play more
"positive" moves that look better, but might hurt the bots chances of winning
by going head to head with a stronger opponent.
Here's my new suggestion: how about trying to map the score to the chances of
winning?
In the later endgame, a putative 0.5 point win might be something like 90%, a
putative 1.5 point win 95%.
Early in the game that would be maybe 51% and 53%.
I'm not sure of what the most useful numbers would be ofcourse, or how quickly
they would change, or if there should be other factors than the move number.

Stefan