C# is a nice language, but for anything open-source, the fact that it
was created by Microsoft kind of 'taints' it.  Which is not to say
that java is very untainted these days, being owned by Oracle...

From a practical point of view, java does most things that C# does,
with a few obvious exceptions:
- availability of generic types at runtime, the whole 'type erasure
thing'.  Not having the generic types available at runtime kind of
sucks, and has a whole set of knock-on issues
- delegates and events.  But you can just use interfaces and adapter
classes for these, not a big deal, I dont miss these; not like I do
runtime generic type information

for the whole 'mono lets you run C# on linux' thing, my epxerience of
this was that it's technically true, in the sense that 'java doesnt
use more memory than c' is in some senses technically arguable, but
not quite so true in practice.  Specifically, in my experience,
linking mono to native code is really horrible and hard and slow.
mono compiler is slow, and gives terrible error messages.  I would
rank the 3 'languages' as follows:

C# on .net (better-than) java (better-than) c# on mono

Hugh