On 25.01.2016 09:11, Mark Goldfain wrote:
I haven't heard of anyone else doing similarly interesting work on the
theoretical
foundations of the game.

Sorry, but this is your fault. Where Tromp excels is Go combinatorics, a field that does not equate the more general "the theoretical foundations of the game". For the latter (and excluding computer go research), there have been a few researchers with more contributions, even if you permit formal theory only and exclude more general math research (e.g. by John Conway) also applicable to go.

> One of the most frustrating things about writing a program to play go
> is that the rules are a bit blurry.

You say so after having read my commentaries?
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/rules.html

On 25.01.2016 10:15, Olivier Teytaud wrote:
> the Chinese rules

Please do not confuse the flawed Chinese Rules
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/c2002.pdf
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/c2002com.pdf

with the flawless Area Scoring in general.

--
robert jasiek