It would reduce Alphago, because there is less training material in the
form of high-dan-games, to train the policy network.

It would also reduce the skill of a human opponent, because (s)he would
have less experience on a larger board, just as AlphaGo.

It would be fun to see which can adapt better.

Cheers
Lukas