On 16-11-17 18:15, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> Something like MCTS would not work in chess, because in
> contrast to Go (and Hex and Amazons and ...) Chess is
> not a "game with forward direction".

Ingo, I think the reason Petr brought the whole thing up is that AlphaGo
Zero uses "MCTS" but it does not actually use Monte Carlo Playouts. I
think your condition about "forward direction" only applies to the
randomized playouts, yes? A neural network evaluation on the other hand
is very much like a classical static chess evaluation.

There are publications about Parallel Randomized Best First Search in
chess, read them and notice how it compares to MCTS.

--
GCP