Hello in the round,

I am not sure how narrowly people from the list are
following the progress of Gian Carlo Pascutto's project
Zero Leela. Therefore, here are some impressions.

The project site is:
http://zero.sjeng.org/

Shortly before Christmas some guys in the German
Go mailing list claimed that LeelaZero had not yet
reached a 25-kyu rank. To get an own impression I
(with an inactive rating of 18-kyu) went on KGS and
played a free game against LeelaZSlow. This version
takes exactly 28 seconds per move, even in trivial
situations. Long paragraph, short outcome: I lost
clearly. You can download the sgf from here:
http://files.gokgs.com/games/2017/12/21/GoIngo-LeelaZSlow.sgf

In the meantime the KGS versions of Leela have made
considerable progress. For instance, yesterday and today
two 1-dans and a 3-dan were beaten in single games.
However, Leela also has "strange" weaknesses. The most serious
one concerns hopeless ladders. The only way out for Leela
seems to be to play early tengen-like moves (as possible
ladder breakers).
At least three versions of LeelaZero are active:
LeelaZFast, LeelaZSlow, and LeelZeroT.

As soon as a new "best" LeelaZero version has emerged in
selfplay runs (of length 400 games) it substitutes the previous
version for play on KGS. Currently this happens 1 or 2 times
per day.

Ingo.