On 06/02/2010 01:14 PM, Don Dailey wrote:

Why are you comparing humans to computers?    It's ridiculous to measure
progress by comparing to the top human players.    What we care about is how
much progress we can make from year to year.

Come on Don, you know that the top players are the gold standard that the programs are trying to beat. That's why lots of programmers have been moving to Go from chess.

The original question was why is Go harder than chess for computers, as it clearly is (are you disputing this?). I think Steve answered the question very well in his original reply.

I understand your dispute with Dave's simplification, but I think you can agree that alpha-beta for chess was a strong foundation to build on, that it didn't work for Go, and that we now have monte-carlo tree search as the foundation. Nobody disputes Go has made progress and will continue to do so.