It strikes me that the extraction of the board position from an image is less well researched than scoring a known position? I have a colleague who is a computer vision expert (and a go player) who knocked up a program to record a game of go by observing the board. He found that the vision side of it was harder than he'd anticipated, despite the apparently constrained nature of the problem.

Hope the below are useful:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1744778
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/5501116/5509124/05509925.pdf%3Farnumber%3D5509925

Cheers