If you don't implement virtual loss, all threads will follow the same
path in the UCT part of the playout, which is a huge departure from
what the sequential algorithm would have done. Adding one loss
temporarily when a thread picks the move discourages other threads
from picking it, but it can be argued that this already results in too
much exploration when compared with the sequential algorithm, since
the sequential algorithm would sometimes be just as discouraged (when
the previous playout resulted in a loss) and sometimes *less*
discouraged (when the previous playout resulted in a win).

So if I were to tune this parameter, I would try with numbers smaller
than 1, not larger.

Álvaro.