I have always thought 9x9 had great depth and was a worthy game in its own
right.   I don't think any human or computer has come close to mastering
it.    If it were played at the very top (with a suitable komi to avoid
draws) the best players would distinguish themselves as better than the
second best and there would be plenty of opportunity for mistakes and great
moves.

But then again I don't know my opinion is worth as I am not a tournament
player and certainly not strong by any measure :-)