> MCMC has little to do with what we do in computer Go. In MCTS we have
> a Markov Chain and we take Monte-Carlo samples from it, but the
> purpose is really not the same at all as what MCMC algorithms do. I
> recommend the wikipedia articles. It is difficult to really get an
> idea of MCMC by reading a general description. It is probably best
> that you get a feeling of what it is by studying the details of a
> real MCMC algorithm. The most basic MCMC algorithm is the
> Metropolis-Hastings algorithm:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis%E2%80%93Hastings_algorithm

Thanks Remi.
Quoting from that article:
"...[a] method for obtaining a sequence of random samples from a
probability distribution for which direct sampling is difficult. This
sequence can be used to approximate the distribution (i.e., to generate
a histogram)"

This sounds exactly like using N monte-carlo simulations at a node in an
MCTS tree, generating a histograms of possible scores. The highest point
on the histogram is used as the best-guess estimate of the score. When
you have two peaks it implies some unstable situation, like a semeai. Etc.

You mentioned the "purpose" is not the same. Can you elaborate?

(If "Markov-Chain" is a nice clean synonym for "rules of the game",
whether the game is go or weather systems, I feel I am on home ground!)

Darren