My hypothesisi is that weird opening is not good or bad objectively, but
works because it matches the playing style of moves to come.

 And small differences in opening do not matter much as it is the middle
game that sets players a part. Difference in points between 3-4 and 10-4 as
1st move is probably way below one, and in any middle game  fights
difference between good and almost good moves is almost always more than 10
points.

So good or bad opening is something that will be an issue once bots are
playing pro's with 1-2 stone handicap.

In chess I notices load of player buy and read opening books while  at they
skill level they hardly ever meet an opponent that will play a know opening
past move six. And they lose and win games on dropped pieces on fine
nuances of strategy. Similarly in go loads of people study joseki and lose
games on not reading medium hard tsume-go situations correctly

Petri