First thing to do is to frame the video to the size YouTube wants (320 x
240). If you have not already done this, it will make the file a lot
smaller.

Software, called a CODEC (COder-DECoder) does the compression. There are
many different CODECs with different properties. The two basic types of
CODEC produce eiter smaller files or better quality files. A "transfer
CODEC" is used to make files that you use for editing (high quality). A
"delivery CODEC" is used for making smaller files. Some CODECs are best
for specific types of images (like animations). The H.264 (QuickTime Pro
$29) and Sorenson (expensive) CODECs are good for making small video
files.

Other things you could do are reduce the frame rate or the data rate; or
ask for fewer key frames; or reduce the color depth; or lower the
"quality" setting (similar to making a smaller jpeg).

Large files at YouTube are commonly posted in sets so you may want to
break up the performance into several smaller units.