Stewart, that may be a comforting formulation but it deserves
some inspection.

What one means by "radical" is slippery.  Though no matter
how you structure the definition you typically find the institutional
measure of organizational strength (periodical circulation, affiliate
elected officials, donations) you typically find the Right ten or a hundred
times more significant than the Left.

You may find their opinions equally offensive but it would be a mistake
to see them as equally threatening.

Secondly, what constitutes the ideological center in this country is
significantly
more to the right than it is in comparable countries (i.e., rich industrial
democracies).  There is generally no accepted explanation in academy [cultural
reasons as an argument doesn't cut it for a variety of reasons- I could suggest
lots of structural-institution reasons but I don't want to bore].

The reason
I raise this is to suggest that what passes for
middle-of-the-road-common-sense in the U.S. might not be
all it is cracked up to be.  Of course, as a person of faith you
are probably well aware of that.  Thanks for the opportunity to
vent about one of my least favorite adages
among those that are arguably have some truth to them.

"Rev. Stewart Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: It goes both ways both left
and right.

The Radical Right is just as bad as the radical left.  They are
really mirror images of each other.

Stewart

  08:40 PM 4/28/2007, you wrote:
>I suspect that a lot of people don't have the time or inclination to
>find out if what they hear is true. It is to your credit that you do try.
>Many people who watch Fox do not know that they are right leaning,
>sometimes radically so. These people are not stupid. They just don't
>know any better, for a host of different reasons. Knowing what our
>country has become, such ignorance is almost unforgivable. At this
>point polls are showing that most people who choose to watch Fox are
>right wing ideologues.
>
>In the last few years, even NPR has been penetrated by the right.
>
>Several of the media I mentioned previously are not out to make
>money. They are subsidized by radical right wing millionaires. They
>are part of the Republican noise machine.
>
>If you are curious, check out
>http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2004/09/09_400.html

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]