Hi Michael. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think we'll start with the combination of assistive settings, a headset (so far he has declined to pursue hearing aids), and work on the video/display setups first. Then I'll start exploring some of the other audio options with him. Many thanks for your help, and best regards, -Andy

Michael Lewis wrote:

/snip/

Ensure you go into Universal Access in the System Preferences and turn
on or set any assistive settings he will need. A few that come to mind
might be:

/snip/

It may be possible to get some software (I can help you look some up if
you want) to assign Start Speaking Text and Stop Speaking Text to a
function key which you could label for him.

Also, I would suggest getting a USB headset which he could use to help
hear with. You don't mention if he has hearing aids, which would require
an earphone that could reach the hearing aid if it is the over-the-ear style.