About 6 weeks ago, I asked this listserv about a laptop for my daughter in college, now a junior. She didn't know whether to get a Mac or a PC laptop, and her friends were giving her dubious advice. Thanks to all who responded -- I copied each response and emailed them to her as well as the recent Consumer Reports article.

Finally yesterday she made her decision: to get a MacBook Pro, and she says she loves it. She told me that the Mac seemed to be for people who didn't know anything about computers such as herself. (I have no opinion since I've never owned any laptop.)

At this point, I don't know whether she got an extended warranty, how much SDRAM she got, nor what software came with the laptop. She bought it at a Mac store in Boston, MA. In case she bought 1 GB of memory, how beneficial would increasing to 2 GB be? She says that she intends to use the laptop for everything pertaining to her study (stage management with a minor in television journalism), and to use her desktop PC for her hobbies, which include video editing but not gaming. The PC was built locally to my specifications.

Also, does the MacBook Pro come with an emulation program for Windows? If not, what is recommended (we have CDs with Windows ME, XP Home, 2000, and XP Pro available to install if needed).