Just a note here.  In terms of performance benchmarks I can build
a desktop computer that will absolutely spank any of the laptops so
far discussed for less than half the cost.

We are not talking about the real benefits here because the question
was relating to high end laptops, but I think that the focus of the thread
should shift to what is the appropriate machine.

The Alienware with outboard power supply weighs 18 pounds.

That's not a laptop, it's a desktop replacement.  And not a good
choice.  It is cool, but it doesn't make sense in this application.

A laptop should be like my T41, light, strong, and good enough
to do its job--mobile computing with good battery life.  If I need
to ride the train from New York to DC or take an airplane and
still play games, I want a decent, affordable, capable and above
all usable and effective platform.

Not a chromium plated Cadillac.

If I need super fast graphics and excellent performance in games
I'll use my desktop, which is not exactly run of the mill.

The two together cost less than one uber high end laptop, which
does neither job efficiently.

I know that the OP wants to do right, congratulations on the full
academic scholarship, that's a real achievement.  But this is not
the time to go crazy.  Wait until the next graduation for that :-).

Rant over.