<WP had, MS took it away>

How is that? MS offered a competing product, for which they charged a stiff
fee, and it
beat WP in the marketplace. What's wrong with that?  How is it "taking away"?

<C++ compiler (at least 2 or 3 competitors, MS took it away)>

Again, the MSVC was a competing product, and not an inexpensive one. Are you
saying that
they're not allowed to compete?

<Instant Messaging>

MS hardly dominates. To the best of my knowledge, AIM is still the market
leader, at least
in the US..

<there was a contributor here a little while ago that said that he was offered
what
amounted to change for his dos command line history functionality, he refused
and MS
announced that piece o'crap DOSKEY.>

Yes, actually that was me. I didn't like it much, but I never thought that what
they did
was unfair. They perceived a customer need; I turned them down; they wrote
their own. What
were they supposed to do? They perceived a customer need, I didn't cooperate,
and at that
point they felt it was cheaper to roll their own than to raise the offer.
What's unfair
about that?