Some time ago I bought a 2GB USB memory stick /thumb drive / flash drive from
Micro Center, and it was a plain 2GB flash memory drive that just worked.  Just
what I wanted.

Today I bought another one.  The case is a different color and slightly
different configuration -- not a problem.  The device has "U3" pre-installed on
it -- i.e., it has an autorun.inf file and a LaunchU3.exe file that is called
and presumably installs drivers and such on my computer from files in a
Launchpad.zip file on the flash drive.  I don't want the U3, but I don't seem
to be able to just erase it.  The device mounts as a 4 MB (MB, yes, not GB)
"CDFS" which presumably means "compact disc file system" which is read-only. It
mouts this way even though I "disabled" autorun.inf by holding down the shift
key while the drive mounted.  If I launch disk manager, the device shows up as
a 4MB CD drive (CD drive #3, after the two "conventional" CD/DVD-RW drives that
I have attached to the second IDE cable), and no format facility of the Win2K
diskmanager will recognize the 2GB capacity and format it as a simple drive.

The device has the Micro Center "house" label.

Is anyone aware of a software utility that will reformat the device as a simple
FAT-32 flash memory drive?  I not only don't care for the U3 "features," I
don't want to load up my system with any more drivers.

Many thanks,

Fred Holmes