I can only answer question 2, because I have Sprint and I live in Old Town and it works just fine...

But I have a Treo 600 and I love it. It has all my contacts, my e-mail, my notes to myself. It will act as a cellular modem for my laptop if I need connectivity in my car (don't ask), and it has MP3s, Audible.com books and a camera. I can go to mapquest and e-mail myself directions to where I need to go. And it has solitaire so I can amuse myself in long boring meetings.

If it had wheels and an engine, I'd need nothing else.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Constance Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 2:47 PM
Subject: [CGUYS] Looking for a cellphone--encore

As long as the topic of cellphones has been brought up, here are two
related questions:

Problem: For some reason, my Sprint phone won't work where I work
anymore.  It does work elsewhere, but tech support can't tell me why it
doesn't work next to Old Town Alexandria (beyond a possible lightning
strike on a tower, which will take an indefinite time to fix).  Well,
c'est la guerre.  I had been thinking of switching services anyway.

So here's question #1: does anyone know of a really good deal in the
national capitol area for basic phone service (either buying phone
service alone, or bundled with other services such as DSL)?  We were
thinking of Verizon, because of their wide coverage area-does anyone
have experience with Verizon cellphone service?

Question #2: in your experience, do you find it useful to have a phone
that does things other than phone calls?  The extra bells and
whistles-e.g. interfacing with your computer-do you actually find them
useful or essential, or are they just nice to have, but not critical?

(I'm trying to decide whether to go for the basics, or pay more for more
features.  The only features I HAVE to have is the same phone number I
have now, and voicemail.  Obviously there are a lot of ways a phone can
be more than a phone-and interact with other electronics-are they worth
the extra money?  What do YOU think?)

--Constance Warner