Thanks for the reply.  My problem is not that I don't follow
technology--I have to be pretty savvy about certain aspects of
technology for my job, and for the job(s) I hope to get.  It's that I
get rather alarmed when I see overhyped products and exaggerated claims
for technology that, in the business world, doesn't really do much for
the users, but does a lot for the manufacturers and the corporations.

EXAMPLE: I've spent many, many hours on websites and the phone lately,
trying to track down, among other things, the answer to why my cellphone
suddenly stopped working in critical parts of town.  It took hours to
finally get to a real human being who knew anything at all about my
problem.  I'm going to have to make the trek to the cellphone
storefront, because it's clear that this is the only way I can get a
straight answer about my problem; and even if the guy is wearing
something that would make a used-car salesman blush, I'm sure he's going
to look WONDERFUL.  Does anybody really think that a cute new interface
would have made my quest any easier?  It's far more likely that it would
have added new twists and turns to my search, and that it would have
taken much longer to get to the help I needed.

Technology is only as good as the companies that use it, and the
purposes for which it is used.  I have a sneaking suspicion that iPhone
related technology will be used to make things convenient for the
corporations--especially the phone service providers--not the customers.
So far, phone service providers don't exactly inspire confidence.  To
quote Ernestine, the telephone operator: "We don't care.  We don't have
to.  We're the telephone company!"

And as for ordering other stuff: most people can wait until they get to
a regular computer terminal to order something online; and a regular
phone (cellphone or otherwise) will do quite nicely to order by phone.

Good customer service impresses me; jargon and technological dodges
don't.

--Constance Warner