I did install the Firefox Google Bookmarks add-on and used the Import Firefox Bookmarks option and saw a variety of strange behaviors from Firefox afterward. It was unresponsive to clicking on other tabs and then refused to shut down. After a couple force quits, it seems to have settled down. I suppose I could remove it now that I have moved my bookmarks, but I'll wait 'til it screws up some more.
This is on an iMac in case it matters.
In the interest of simplicity and reliability, unless I'm specifically experimenting with something, I generally keep add-ons to a minimum and I don't use Google toolbar.

Harvey Simon wrote:
Stay away from Gmarks.  I had trouble with it.  For one thing, Firefox
insisted on staying front and center on my screen when I selected another
active program.  I uninstalled Gmarks and that problem went away.

In the Google toolbar there's a drop down menu under Bookmarks that says
"Import Firefox Bookmarks."

I wish I'd seen that before I installed Gmarks, which I think could also be
to blame for the problems I detailed in the "Firefox f-up" thread.

hs