From: Tom Piwowar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Notebook shuts down when I move the screen

>Yes I know it is supposed to do that.:)  However, now even the
>slightest
>vibration or movement of the lid and I have a black screen.  I have to
>reboot from the power off button (ouch) and this is playing havoc with my
>os.  Details are:  Dell Inspiron 1000, Windows XP,  only about two years
old.

There is a magnetic switch in the lid that detects when the lid is
closed. Sometimes it goes bad. The easy solution is to snip the wire that
goes to the switch and give up on this feature.

On an iBook it is easy to get to the wire. I have done this and can vouch
for it being easy and effective.

On a Dell? I don't know. Try Googling for an answer. For the iBook I
easily found a good step by step with clear pictures.