But, would the flash things running overnight on a Mozilla type browser cause OSX to close?

Mozilla's browsers have had a memory leak bug on and off for a long time. The leak can cause the browser to crash, but I haven't seen it crash OS X. [Mozilla doesn't install anything in root.] Running Flash uses a lot of memory and "magnifies" the memory leak.

Have you tried to run X on another account? As admin, you'll be able to use your files. Does the second account crash? Which maintenance utilities have you used? I've found Yasu works well for my Mac, http://jimmitchell.org/projects/yasu/, but OnyX can be more helpful and fun, http://www.titanium.free.fr/ [and dangerous].