>I was listening to some old WAMU shows, one of them
>was about Google scanning and OCR'ing books and the
>legal arguments that were going on between the
>publishers and Google, etc.  How did that ever turn
>out?

Just yesterday I was reading pages from a scanned book about Apple's
iLife suite at Google Books.

Depending on the copyright status, the number of pages available will be
limited. Since the book I was looking at was recent there were large
gaps. Some of the information I was looking for was absent. But there
were other books on the topic. So I was able to find out what I needed to
know.

They provide links to order the book and other related Google ads.

It is a great resource for looking a book over before ordering it on
line. Similar to the scanned pages that Amazon sometimes provides, but
Google was much easier to use and not as sluggish.

If I decide to use iLife for an upcoming project, I will definitely buy
several of the books I say on Google Books.