On Sep 8, 2007, at 8:03 AM, gerald wrote:

I am planning to purchase an iMac for my wife. I have only owned PC's since jobs was in the garage, and have a few hardware questions.

we are getting this mainly because it fits well in the allocated space, and because my wife generates and edits dvd's and says her PC is very slow in this task.

I would view the secondary reason as being paramount in this instance. I think that just about any newer Mac will consume less space than a desktop PC.

1.looks like 2 memory slots. does std DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300 ) ram fit, or is it something that is mac only? 1a. can I put a 2g in one slot and a 1g in the other and the machine will be happy and run on 3g?

Depends upon which iMac you are talking about. Go to this site for some answers:

   http://www.everymac.com/

2.can one change/ug the video card or add memory to it, or is it unique, and hardwired someplace weird?
such as, can one remove the nvidia 128 and put in an ati 256?

  I dunno about this.

3.Is the hd a standard one, and can one pull the existing and put in a larger one?

One can swap out the HD in some iMacs that I know of, but maybe not in all of them.

4.have heard Leapord(?) will be out in oct. how realistic are apple release dates and how buggy are typical initial releases? will there be enough thrill to wait?

Probably not enough thrill to wait, in my opinion. As is usual, it is always better to wait a bit after the initial release of just about any software.

  Steve