The main reason I keep my old SLR cameras -- Pentax and Canon -- is to shoot and print breathtaking photos. I used to do posters and print them in a friend's studio [he was a National Geographic photographer]. There isn't an affordable digital camera that can come close to the quality of the SLR, 2x2, and 6x6 for large-scale prints--yet. Shoot and scan works very well.

That being said, most people don't care and can't tell the difference [same for quality audio]. So it depends on the client, the audience, and deadline whether to go to the effort to do something spectacular, especially when you're being paid to do something that's only adequate.

The digital format wars for memory, storage, A/V, photo are just beginning. Choose your 'best' format and it will be obsolete, out of the box. I like mechanical devices. I can fix them or get them fixed when they break. Makes them last too long for manufacturers to be able to sell more.

The answer to your question is NO, unless consumers demand it. The highest quality probably won't win, either.

Betty

chad evans wyatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Time for something a little more cosmic from you. Give us some words about Stuart Parkin's idea of
racetrack storage.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/11/technology/11storage.html

My abiding disappointment in adjusting to digital
DXcapture is the utter weak soup that it is, compared
to even the most amateur disposables of the film era.
Reason?  Not enough room for information on those puny
sensors.  (Do you like those sumptuous images in
magazines and catalogues?  Cameras used to make them
cost $15,000+)

Nikon's new D3 is robust enough to compete, but what a
serious outlay for struggling artists:  how many of
yesterday's SRT101 users could afford that chunk of
change?  I'm just now rounding out another project
done on 6x6cm film, whose images are scanned for
5-foot-square reproductions.  The files are middling
large at 38mb, but the density of information is
breath-taking.  Even the largest raw files from my
D-Nikons look fuzzy, by comparison. I know because
tests for the series were shot raw, camera on tripod.

OK, here's what I'm saying:  I admire the elevated
game of Pong that really smart people on the List
engage in, but paradigm shifts are needed for us to
get away from  absurd hardware brand wars and software
incompatibility hardships.  Referring to my own
orientation, do you think that geometrically larger
and speedier memory capacity, along the lines of
racetrack, might usher in an era of new universality,
such as existed for a century with film?

Chad Wyatt