Drive placement has a lot to do with this.

I recently had to swap Laptops and put my working HD into a different style Dell. The drive in the old Dell was toward the back where the heat sinks are and never really got warm. The newer Dell has the drive toward the front and I can feel the heat all the time. I have an after market Scorpio 5400 RPM 80GB (A far cry from the 4200 40 GB it originally came with)

Stewart