No it is also being interpreted as being for sale to folks who build their own. Newegg sells them with a warning,
---------------------------------------
* Disclaimer: Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP/Office 2003 that you purchased.

This allows OEM's to be purchased by everyday schlubs like me without having to have or obtain a sales tax certificate from the state. This does not allow someone to go out and buy it and then resell it.

Your using an old interpretation of OEM. It was for manufacturers to get deep discounts on OS's that everyday schlubs like me could not get. It has been loosened up so that builders like me can get it, but not at as deep a discount. (I bet Dell does not pay $95.00 per copy for their windows XP's)

By the way they did this with 98 also. I built a few systems years ago and ordered as many 98's as I did systems. They were all OEM's coming in plain black and white CD holders.

Stewart

At 10:50 AM 9/24/2007, you wrote:
>I could buy an OEM to go along with the system I built this past
>year.  It would only be valid with that system and could not be
>transferred over to any other system.

That is for people who are building systems for resale, not for their own
use.

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Prince of Peace