----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Computer Guys Announcements and Discussion List" <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] [ OT WARNING!!!!

We have increasingly come to see government as the main instrument by which our society and nation implements its collective will and carries out what we assume as our societal obligations. Public schools, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the VA are just some examples. If "we" accept an obligation to provide every person who needs it with health care, I don't think there is any track record of universal health care (at least in the developed world) occurring other than through government. Our NPS has not and probably could not deliver this.

In many areas, the need to turn to government to meet an increasing number of societal needs is due to the lack of real community, on top of the breakdown of extended and even nuclear families. Even real neighborhoods are hard to come by. Being perhaps the most individualistic society on earth, government ends up doing much of what real communities do elsewhere or could do.

Government also has become increasingly necessary to address the consequences of people exercising their presumed absolute right to reproduce, since so many people are incapable of doing so themselves. In modernity and especially in the U.S. the notions of rights and responsibilities have become separated from each other. One consequence of this is the negation of the possibility of community. Another is the increasing reliance on government to assume responsibilities, including responsibilities that arise when people exercise their presumed rights, including the unlimited right to reproduce (not to mention produce, consume, etc.).

Since, as a society and as individuals, we rarely if ever think about or through, or rethink many of these things, we are basically stuck with the answers we have. The form and structure of our federal government was designed for a world infinitely different than the world we have today, in 2007, yet we rarely if ever question whether it should be changed, let alone replaced with something else. When one doesn't question, especially ask fundamental questions, one accepts and is stuck with the answers they have, which constrain the range of possible action.

As an example, we hear this or that presidential candidate claim to be the candidate of change. But no one running for President is or can be for really fundamental change. Someone for real, fundamental change wouldn't run for President, the would instead seek to get their fellow citizens to rethink the institution of the Presidency. But this sort of questioning is far beyond anything that occurs in public discourse.

Randall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Ballinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>