At least with Zone Alarm you will know what programs on your computer are trying to access the Internet. It does require some judgment on your part because you will have to decide what gets permission and what doesn't. The neat (or scary thing you find out is how often all of the Microsoft programs want to "phone home", for their unexplained reasons.

Also, I've used Adaware and Spybot but they just didn't seem to find the spyware as well as Spy Sweeper did. Plus, Spy Sweeper was able to effectively clear up some installed spyware that the others found but couldn't do anything with. I don't know if it's the best, but it worked for me when I needed it most. Plus, being a paid subscription, it runs automatically and updates definitions everyday. Spy Sweeper prompts you whether or not to keep any newly installed program. If you ever have the misfortune of being infested with spyware, you'll wish you had gotten the best protection installed ahead of time. After the fact is probably too late.

Just my opinion...

Richard P.

rlsimon wrote:
I switched from Norton 2003 to Avast and it seems to work well.  I have
dialup via ATT via proxy accelerated ...do I need ZoneAlarm really?  For
spyware, I run Adaware periodically.  Spybot doesn't ever seem to find
anything, but has the "immunization" feature.

Mike

Stephen Brownfield wrote:
A coworker of mine just bought a new Dell computer (with Vista) and
her
free Norton Anti-Virus (spyware blocker etc) has expired. She turned to me to ask me if she should renew it or get something else and if so what. I told her I couldn't answer it because as she knows I'm a Mac man and that would be a different answer. I however told her that I would check with the list. What do you recommend? It is a family computer. They are a family of 3. Their son is about 12.
Thanks

Steve