As one who uses several different languages in my work [and play], I've memorized most of the keyboard combinations for special symbols, accents, umlauts, etc. I still use the old Key Caps to find what I need quickly, and I have a chart, too.

When you create a document in Acrobat, there are a few things that you need to do so that it's more universal. First, save it as Acrobat 4 compatible. More important, be sure to embed all of the fonts that you use, especially if you want it to be cross-platform. Embedding fonts is very important in many applications. I learned to do that early on with files exported for offset printing, and for files I'd send out without knowing what OS and fonts the recipients were using. Embedding the fonts is the only way you can usually guarantee that the document will look the way you intend/expect when others view it.

I have what I call my "Puerto Rican/Mexican" keyboard that I got in Miami to do books in Spanish. There are other keyboards you can buy or covers for keys so that you can know which keys produce symbols you need without memorizing or using a chart. Do you have the Key Caps program? I think it was included in Jaguar and Panther, but not Tiger. In System Preferences/International there's a Keyboard viewer, but it's much smaller than Key Caps, and hard to read.

Use Keyboard Viewer for Key Caps functions - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25618 Typing Special Characters and Symbols - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=34575 Reference for EVERY Character Key on a Mac - http://www.gosquared.com/liquidicity/archives/172

Since you use Czech frequently, install the fonts you need and select the checkbox for that and all other languages you use in System Prefs, so that the flag of the country of origin will be in the menu bar. Command+spacebar switches from one language to another; the flag indicates which is in use.

Betty

Many thanks, Betty!  I can't wait to look at files
from all that time ago...

Another question:  I know that you handle languages &
fonts with accents other than English.  Some time ago,
I used Acrobat5 to convert many webpages relevant to a
project to .pdf.  Diacriticals worked fine,
everything.  Tried to open one of those older .pdf's
in Acrobat6 today, prompt came up "cannot or create
the font HelveticaCE", and files were all corrupted
into a series of dots.  This is in OSX10.4, not only
is HelveticaCE (& other Czech fonts) available, but so
are Hungarian fonts, Chinese, Korean, Japanese. Wandered over to my old G3 still using Acrobat5,
everything reads just fine.  I know that friends have
some troubles with current Acrobat.  I thought .pdf
was a kind of permanent file format for those of us
who wish somehow to create archives digitally.  Any
thoughts?