>I have a 2gig chip coming(bought a wrong 2gig to start the week).  will
>give her 3gig.will another 1gig (swap out the 1gig with a 2gig) improve
>performance much?

Hard to say in theory, but there is a way to check it in practice. With
the Mac running in a typical manner, start Activity Monitor and perform
some actions that you would expect need lots of RAM. Then check Activity
Monitor's System Memory panel for page outs (the second number in the
pair). If the page outs are under 400,000 you will not benefit much from
adding RAM. The higher this number the more you will benefit by adding
RAM. This is worth revisiting after you upgrade software or change your
style of working.