I use Adobe InDesign. InDesign gives lots of choices for export, including prepress, crop marks, compressing images, embedding fonts [default], compatibility with earlier versions of Acrobat Reader. Only Postscript fonts can be embedded [? maybe]. A PDF/X file embeds lots of extra information for offset printing, but I don't know if that includes fonts. It's a choice in the OS X print dialog box.

I'll do a search and see what I can find for other programs that are more affordable. Ever try this, http://www.docudesk.com/desk_pdf_professional.shtml?

http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/L311277A_FontTT_v4.pdf

You may have to buy a version of Acrobat, or similar.

In order to control what gets put in a pdf and how, you have to use a full
featured pdf tool like Acrobat  Distiller.  It let's you embed fonts etc while
trading off with increased  file size.

db

chad evans wyatt wrote:
Betty -

I am comfortable with several keyboard configurations
(Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, French, etc).  They are all
available to me on my OSX platform (as they were in
OS9), and I draw upon them frequently (flags in the
menu bar activated).
How does one go the extra step to "embed", I thought
that a simple "save" meant that my current .pdf would
incorporate everything within the document converted
to .pdf, including active international fonts.  My
prompts don't allow anything but my current Acrobat6
to "save."  Acrobat4 is nowhere to be found.  Again, I
mention that an IT friend, using the current Reader,
found the A6 .pdf's unreadable.

You correctly describe my wish to produce something
universal, I wish to be able to access these files
5,10 many years down the road. Unavoidable to note: open a book from 1907, and the
characters are still the same, no data moves off, or
away.  Very frustrating.  I thought I had a simple
solution in .pdf format.

Chad