I have had similar experiences.  Red Roof Inns and their ilk provide broadband
free of charge, but upscale places typically charge $9.95 per day, more or
less.  I stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Indianapolis in August, and I just got
back from a Marriott in Newton, MA and both charged.

I have an even bigger complaint regarding bargain vs. upscale hotels (somewhat
ot):  small places (like the motel I stayed at in Ann Arbor in June) tend to
give you "normal" cable channels, but the "nice" places restrict you to some
subset of what you'd get at home (even with basic cable).  Does anybody know
why this is?

As far as other countries are concerned, I stayed in a number of hotels in
Japan this summer.  Some were nicer than others, but the only one that charged
for broadband access was a resort near Mt. Fuji.  I can recall staying at a
hotel in Nagoya which is used by many locals as a catering hall for weddings
(they take weddings very seriously in Japan); I'd say it was at least the
equivalent of the Marriott in Newton, and no charge for broadband.

As for quality of service, I'm no judge of that.  I very seldom notice a slow
connection unless it's egregiously slow.