"I have been training people to use computers for over 20 years. I can
assure you that people do not panic at the sight of a 1-button mouse."

Well, that's just the point, isn't it?  They were being TRAINED, not
thrown in the deep end and expected to swim.  Most of the Mac newbies
I've seen had to pick Mac OS up on their own, at the same time they were
expected to do whatever work they were hired to do.  I've seen some
interesting panic reactions when Windows users who were Mac novices had
to deal with one-button mice.  (I remember one guy who picked up a
one-button mouse and practically turned white; he looked around to see
what other people were doing with it, to try to figure out how to use it
before he did something patently stupid.  Yes, a couple of us did clue
him in, as tactfully as we could.)

The sad part of this situation is that all the new users' anxiety could
be completely avoided (for the average user) by half an hour of
orientation and a cheat-sheet.

--Constance Warner