>Is there a reason for this or is it done to make one more reason to
>upgrade?  I mean even IE 7 of all things works on xp, why won't safari work
>on OS's just a couple years old?

The new browsers depend on the operating system for some functions. If
the OS can't supply those functions the browser breaks. To make the new
browser work in the old OS they would have to build the missing functions
into the browser. It is better for them to not do that and instead give
you a good reason to send them money. Doing more work to make less money
is not in vogue these days.