You need to get a special tool from Norton's website to really get it
off the machine.

For antivirus you can go with one of the free ones- Avast or AVG.
I've heard really good things about NOD32 but you  need to buy that.

For a firewall you are pretty safe if you have a router with a NAT
firewall between you and the internet.   Turn on the windows firewall
should be enough for most things.  Zone alarm has the same bloat ware
problems as Norton.

If you want more comprehensive anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall eEye's
Blink is free for a year to test out but it can be difficult to
configure.  I've been using that trying to figure out whether I could
leave it running on my Dad's computer.  I think it would be too
annoying for him.

John Duncan Yoyo